Monday, October 4, 2010

The Queen: A Biography of Elizabeth II by Ben Pimlott

This was a great book. I hadn't seriously read a biography before this one, and I can truthfully say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. She was a very interesting person, but I might suggest reading a shorter book before you dig into this one, as it was between five and six hundred pages long, though fascinating all the way through. Ben Pimlott is a great biographer, totally unbiased, wording everything extremely thoughtfully and clearly. This book was written before 1997, so it mustn't be expected to talk about Princess Di's death.
The royal family is not supposed to have opinions, so a personality of the Queen would be rather hard to describe, but I think that Pimlott did it quite well. Some bad words are used in quotes, but these are few and far between. On the whole, The Queen: A Biography of Elizabeth II was a wonderful book. In my opinion, she is an amazing woman, her life wonderful and inspiring fodder for a book such as this.

2 comments: