Monday, October 4, 2010

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

As this is my first post, I'll start with an easy one. I've read this book eight times and plan to do so again soon. The hero, a boy named Milo, is tired. Not physically, but tired of life. As the first page notes, when he is one place, he wants to be elsewhere, and when he is elsewhere,  he wants to be one place again. When a large purple package arrives in his room, it begins a series of adventures, in which he meets several interesting characters and, more importantly, learns to live life to the fullest.
This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's an easy read, quite short, and has some of the most lovable characters you'll find anywhere. Most things in this book are metaphors, such as Milo getting stuck in the actual Doldrums, a place where everyone is lazy, sleepy, and doesn't think, and is accosted by a real 'watch' dog, a watch constituting its whole middle. In my opinion, Norton Juster is one of the cleverest modern children's authors, in this book at least.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as if this is a must read! T/U for sharing about it. Love your blog! You've inspired me to read more!

    ReplyDelete