Tuesday, October 5, 2010

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

How Green Was My Valley, by Richard Llewellyn, is, in my opinion, one of the best books of all time. It's longer than you'd think by looking at it, about four hundred pages, but you don't notice so much. The way he writes it is genius, a sort of beautiful, poetic writing. The hero, a boy named Huw Morgan, begins at about age six, and, throughout the book, becomes a man. It goes through the process of a boy growing up, with a wealth of nostalgia and a child's thoughts on everything that is really a pleasure to read. There were a couple of scenes I thought might be a bit inappropriate, but were very vague. Huw Morgan is one of my favorite heroes of any book. My favorite line in the book is the last one, from where Llewellyn acquires his title: 'How green was my valley, and the valley of those that have gone.'

No comments:

Post a Comment