Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Pathfinder (or The Inland Sea) by James Fenimore Cooper

This one took me quite some time to read, as I left off for a few weeks several times. But I just finished it yesterday, and it was quite a book, if somewhat predictable at points. The Pathfinder is a great character, honest and simple as you can get.
It begins with The Pathfinder and the Great Serpent, his Indian friend, leading a young woman, Mabel Dunham, and her uncle, whom they call Cap, through the forests near the Great Lakes. They meet up with an Indian called Arrowhead and his wife, Dew-of-June, and another young fellow named Jasper Western, but known by the Indians as Eu-douce. (Not quite sure what that means, but I'm sure they told me and I forgot). They go on to encounter many Indians and end up in a camp of British soldiers containing the person Mabel Dunham wanted to reach, Sergeant Dunham, her father. Then another twist of plot happens, throwing everyone into chaos, and it becomes very interesting.
It's a rather old book, so they use the word burthen instead of burden and such. It seemed rather long, but I couldn't quite tell, as it was on my Kindle and they don't tell you how long it is, but it was about the same length as the Cardinal of the Kremlin. Pretty long. But, on the whole, it was an excellent book, and I'm planning to read the whole series, if I can figure out which one comes next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment