Friday, November 12, 2010

The Little Princesses by Marion Crawford

Don't get deterred by the name; this actually isn't a novel. It was written by a woman who was the governess for seventeen years to the two princesses of England, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose, the former of which is now Queen Elizabeth II. What apparently happened was Marion Crawford didn't get permission to divulge this information and I think they sued her. What I do know is that the royal family refused to have anything more to do with her, even though she was like a mother to the princesses, and didn't even send her family a wreath when she died.
The book itself was written by a ghost writer, but it was an amazing book. I got it for my birthday and read it all in one day. This might have been because Queen Elizabeth II is, to me, a fascinating person, but I think anyone would like it. It includes pictures of the little princesses through the years and has detailed accounts of their personalities. I believe it's out-of-print now, but there are many ways of acquiring it. Definitely a book to be read over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! Wish i had time to read this important work as this era of history and location is one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete